I’ve been exploring and experimenting with several different activities recently, some new to me and some old, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I would greatly benefit from setting up some sort of schedule. Currently I either mess around with a bunch of different things at once or concentrate on one thing until I get tired of it. Since many of these activities potentially require large amounts of time and have no definite end, I was thinking that one simple and effective approach might be to just concentrate on one area of interest each week. This would also give me a decent amount of time to decide if each activity is something I would like to pursue further in the future and make sure that I have time to explore many different projects. This is not to say that I will keep working on something that I strongly dislike after the first day though. Hopefully I can use this blog to help keep myself motivated and on task.
So for this week I have decided that I would like to concentrate on mosaics, otherwise known as the art of breaking stuff in to pieces that are then placed together to look like stuff again. I am currently working with glass tiles to make some simple images. My current project is made up of plain flower shapes (seen below). This is my second mosaic project ever (my first is the grid of tiles also in the picture below).
One of my current dilemmas with mosaics is the question of when is a cut (or shaped) tile finished? When is a circle clean enough to call it done? My current answer is a piece is done when breaking off any more is very difficult or risks breaking the tile. I imagine that I will get better at shaping pieces as I get more practice, but many mosaics I have seen have a fairly rough appearance to the cut tiles.
On a different note, I took some time this week to replant my terrariums. My first attempt at a terrarium failed when the plants got baked one hot summer day. I am not certain what the names of the plants are, the flower store just called them ‘terrarium plants’. I decided to stick with just one plant per container this time. These were sealed with lids after these photos were taken.
As always thanks for reading and please leave any comments below!